Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Conclusion

 My question was if characteristics such as age, gender, and others affect your score on Flappy Bird. I found out that age affects the high score, because older people tend to not have a lot of time, comparing to younger people. At the beginning of my project, I had decided that I would have teacher and student scores, but as I was looking for people it became harder and harder for me to find people who were willing to help me. Instead of having a huge gap between student's and teacher's ages, I focused my project on teenagers. I did my experiment with the high schoolers, that were 14-18 years-old. I found out that high schoolers have almost the same high score. I believe this is because everyone played on a Galaxy Note II, which is not common around Graded. Most people never played Flappy Bird on a Galaxy Note (which is 2x larger than any other smartphone), so their high scores would be pretty low. I had predicted that the results wouldn't vary a lot. Although the results didn't vary a lot, there were some outliers. Those outliers were people in between the ages 14-15. 
One of the things I discovered was that 18 year-olds discovered Flappy Bird in Vines. I believe they first heard of it in Vines, because they are short and easy to access, while the 14 year-olds discovered the game through friends. I believe that 14 year-olds have more time to socialize with friends, and 18 year-olds have less time because they are probably seniors. Vines are easily accessible and are very entertaining, so people can watch some vines during their breaks. 
I did this experiment as a curiosity, and I don't think this information was useful. Now that I look back at my project, I believe that another thing I could have done is used different types of smartphones. A "better" topic question could be, "Do different types of smartphones affect high scores?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Debora,
    I thought that it was very interesting the connection you made with the ages of the players and how they discovered Flappy Bird, as well as the connection you made with how 14-15 year olds and the 18 year olds discovered Flappy Bird and the amount of time each age group has more free time to socialize.
    Interesting conclusion to your project. I really like your idea and I believe you did a good job at collecting data and analyzing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debora, I didn't see any graphs or data that related to all of the questions that you were trying to answer. You collected numerical data (levels reached on flappy bird) but I didn't see you calculate anything with those values. Mean, median, mode etc? Box and whisker plots? Cumulative frequency charts?

    Please take a look at the criteria and let me know if you want to try to edit and resubmit.

    ReplyDelete